Monday, November 6, 2017

Starting a Yeti Expedition

Hello and welcome to my WR2310 blog! In WR2310, or visual rhetoric, we recently began our fonts unit. So far, we have read several academic articles about the impact that fonts, layout, and graphic design have on the reader's perception of the words on the page. We also watched Gary Hustwit's documentary Helvetica, which detailed the profound impact that one extremely well-designed font can have on culture.

I had no idea how much I interacted with graphic design and font before exploring these sources! And now that I know about these interactions, I cannot read text without considering how the font affects my perception of the content. So being able to be a part of a font design project is both exciting and daunting - there are so many creative liberties to be taken, and with these liberties there is so much at stake. Designing an effective font should prove to be a fun challenge!

On top of these already high stakes, we are designing a font for an actual client, and the winning font will actually get used! Our client is designing an escape room, a fun interactive game where players have to find clues and solve riddles to unlock the door to the room and escape. These rooms generally follow some sort of narrative, and this particular client's room is designed around escaping from a Yeti Expedition gone awry.

So I'm not going to lie, I haven't gone on too many Yeti expeditions in my day. Through Professor DeWinter's instructions, I had some jumping off points for what a Yeti expedition may include.

My google search for "Yeti" yielded a lot of pictures of the popular beach cooler, but narrowing my search lead to a lot of images of this cute white dude:
This dudes just here for a good time!
Look at this fuzzy lil dude!

This dude looks so friendly!

I also got a lot of pictures of a much more ominous creature:
Scary!

Intimidating!

And some pictures of a LEGIT ACTUAL YETI:
(Not gonna lie, this looks like a really large snow drift, but Yeti experts say this is the real deal! Hard to argue with that)

The Yeti is thought to originate from the Himalayas, a mountain range that borders India, Nepal, Pakistan, China, Bhutan, and Afghanistan and is home to the highest peak in the world, Mount Everest.


This image shows a map of the Himalayas, look how freakin huge that mountain range is! The Himalayas are a relatively young mountain range, formed because of the collisions of tectonic plates, crushing India into Tibet. (Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Himalayas)

The Himalayas from above, the tallest peak is Everest. (Source: http://everestbasecamptrekguide.com/himalayas-pictures/)

Because people are crazy and like a challenge, summiting Mount Everest has been a huge climbing goal for climbers worldwide. This climb is not for the faint of heart, climbers have to be ready to acclimate to extreme changes in altitude, expose themselves to extreme weather, and physically push their bodies to the limit.
(All of these images are from http://everestbasecamptrekguide.com/himalayas-pictures/)

Here are some people climbing towards the summit. Meanwhile, I can barely climb out of bed in the morning.

These crevasses are crazy deep. One wrong step and you're toast. Actually more like a popsicle.



Hikers camp out on the side of the mountain in these tents, burying them into the side of the mountain. I'm no mountaineer, and those look like they would be cold, uncomfortable, and dangerous.

The wind can reach up to 175 mph. Jinkies!

Good views though! I'll let the experts take the pictures so I can view them from my nice, warm bed.

Believe it or not, people actually LIVE in these mountains! People from the mountainous region of Nepal are known as Sherpas. They're generally regarded as expert hikers and mountain guides, and those looking to summit Everest often turn to them for advice. Even after a huge avalanche killed sixteen of the Sherpa community, Sherpas still return each season to guide climbers.
Carrying supplies for hikers. Imagine walking up the tallest mountain in the world with freaking SO MUCH STUFF ON YOUR BACK?!?!?! Source: https://www.vice.com/sv/article/7bm9n9/sherpa-describe-why-they-returned-to-everest-after-the-deadliest-season-ever


Through my preliminary research, I have learned quite a few things: 
  1. Sherpas are badasses.
  2. The Himalayas are crazy huge, so there could very well be a Yeti in there somewhere.
  3. Yetis could be cute, scary, or snowdrifts.
  4. I have my work cut out for me designing this font!
Sources:
http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/the-himalayas-himalayas-facts/6341/
http://www.scmp.com/magazines/post-magazine/travel/article/2104896/good-bad-and-ugly-sides-climbing-mount-everest
http://everestbasecamptrekguide.com/what-is-a-trek-in-nepal/
https://www.vice.com/sv/article/7bm9n9/sherpa-describe-why-they-returned-to-everest-after-the-deadliest-season-ever






3 comments:

  1. I find your initial research really interesting and informative. I'm very surprised how there are so many cute and cuddly interpretations of yetis in Western pop culture. I wonder when that transition happened. This also makes me curious how the people of WPI may react to the yeti theme of the escape room based upon how they may have been exposed to yetis in the past. Will that initial reaction be something the font has to overcome in order to effectively represent the escape room or is that an association the font should exploit for the same purpose? I'm looking forward to seeing your thoughts on this!
    -Jessica Hatt

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, your blog title is absolutely incredible. I really like how you researched the Himalayas and included pictures of some of the scenery as well as people hiking the region - I think this could give an interesting twist on your font design as the Himalayas can often be seen as inhabitable, but people do actually live there. I also find it interesting that the Yeti has become less of a feared figure and more of an icon in many popular movies. I also wonder how this could affect your font interpretation - will it be more welcoming as the Yeti's are in today's movies or take a scarier twist?
    ~Katie Vasconcelos

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving the blog title! Such a bad Dad-level pun...

    I really like the depth and the breadth you put into your research. It's an interesting note that yetis have been portrayed as cute and cuddly in western culture, but the reality of their origins is far more sinister. Probably my favorite thing about this article, though, was the Vice source you found for the Sherpa people; it really speaks to their hardiness. I look forward to seeing how you combine the sinister/cuddly traits of Yetis with the hardy aspects of the Sherpa and Nepali cultures...

    - Brandon Sanders

    ReplyDelete